Latest News from our Consumer Watch Team
Each day our Consumer Protection Team is hard at work discussing tips and providing resources on behalf of Seniors and all consumers. Read our recap focusing on Robo Calls.
Mad About Robo Calls?
Robocalls have today become the largest source of consumer complaints to the FTC, accounting for more than 65 percent of the total. Did you know that not all of the calls are against the law? Basic breakdown is:
- Political parties, candidates and charities: Legally allowed to autodial you with a prerecorded message to your home landline.
- Informational: Pharmacy, school, doctor, etc.
- Autodialed telemarketing calls: if they are from legitimate outfits to your home landline are also legally permitted, provided the person on the other end is a human being; for prerecorded messages, your written consent is required. These calls are prohibited before 8 a.m. and after 9 p.m.
- Political parties, candidates and charities: made to your cellphone are illegal unless you have given your express permission beforehand to be contacted this way.
- Spoofed calls: illegal if the intent is fraud. Spoofed numbers from doctors, policy, etc are allowed to avoid disclosing private contact information.
If you get any such calls, the FTC suggests that you hang up and report the call to 877-FTC-HELP or go to the FTC’s Complaint Assistant page.
At Finn Law Group, our Consumer Protection Team is working hard to help consumers understand their rights.
Your best tool is education, contact our Consumer Protection Specialists today.
[contact-form-7 id=”301″ title=”Contact Form – Sidebar”]